CURRICULUM VITAE (CV) OF PROFESSOR JACK/ JACOB ALEONOTE AIGBODIOH (2019).
(i) Professor of Philosophy (Immediate Past Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic), Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State.(ii) Adjunct Director, African Based Undergraduate and Doctoral Programmes in Innovative and Disruptive Technologies, Aluya Institute of Strategic Management Gobal Mindset, U.S.A. 200 N. Bradford Street Suite 1, Placentia, CA. 92870, California, U.S.A.
(iii) African Liaison Desk Officer, Aluya Institute of Strategic Management Global Mindset, @ Jubrital Consulting Nig. Ltd, Plot 587/588, 34 Crescent, Off 3rd Avenue, Gwarimpa, F.C.T., Abuja.
12. EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED WITH DATES:
- 1961-1964: St Paulinus’ Primary School, Ayua, Uzairue, Etsako West L.G.A, Edo State.
- 1965-1966: St. Philip’s Primary School, Jattu, Uzairue, Etsako West L.G.A, Edo State.
- 1967-1971: St. Paul’s Catholic (Minor) Seminary, Benin City, Edo State.
- 1972-1976: Ss. Peter and Paul’s Catholic (Major) Seminary, Bodija, Ibadan, Oyo State.
- 1977-1980: Department of Philosophy, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- 1981-1982: Department of Philosophy, University of Ibadan, Ibadan
- 1990-1995: Department of Philosophy, University of Ibadan, Ibadan
13. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS WITH DATES:
A. SECONDARY CERTIFICATES ATTAINED WITH DATES:
- January, 1972: University of London, General Certificate of Examination( G.C.E) in Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English Literature, Mathematics and Religious Knowledge.
- January, 1974: University of London G.C.E. in English Language.
B. UNIVERSITY DIPLOMAS AND DEGREES
- June 28, 1976: Diploma in Religious Studies (with Distinctions in Old Testament,New Testament, and Biblical Theology), University of Ibadan, inaffiliation with Ss. Peter and Paul’s Catholic Seminary, Ibadan.
- July 18, 1980: B.A. (Combined Hons,) Second Class Upper Division (21) in Philosophy/Religious Studies, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- September 30, 1982: M.A (Philosophy), University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- September 14, 1995: Ph.D (Philosophy), University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
C. OTHER CERTIFICATES AND DIPLOMAS.
- July 31, 1981: Certificate of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).
- December 2015: Diploma in Computer Information Technology, Trust Computer College, Afua, Ekpoma, Edo State.
- 27TH– 28TH APRIL 2010:Certificate of Attendance, 3rd Osigwe Anyiam- Osigwe National Workshop on Development Philosophy Conference Centre, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- MAY 6TH 2014: Certificate of Appreciation: Participation in the 21st Century Management of Tertiary Education Institutions Professional
Development Seminar, sponsored by the University of Florida
College of Education, School of Human Development and
Organizational Studies in Education, and the Institute of Higher Education in 12th -16th May, 2014.issued May 16, 2014, in College of Education, University of Florida, U.S.A.
- 28TH -31ST JULY, 2014: Certificate of Attendance, 4-Day Seminar in
“Understanding the Labour Law and Legal Framework of Industrial Relations”, organized by Centre for Law and Capacity Development (CLCD), 28th -31st July, 2014, University of Ibadan Conference Centre, Ibadan.
- 15TH DECEMBER 2015: Certificate of Participation in a Workshop, The Nigerian Universities Electronic Teaching And Learning Platform organized by Spectrum Engineering Limited, sponsored by Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) on 15th December, 2015.
14. DISSERTATION AND THESIS
- M.A. Dissertation
“Frege’s Criticism of Psychological Semantics: A Critical Overview” (1982).
- Ph.D. Thesis
“Scepticism and Humanism: An Interpretation of Hume’s Epistemology” (1995).
15. WORKING EXPERIENCE WITH DATES:
1976- Sept. 1977: Teacher at Kelly College (Immaculate Conception College, ICC), BeninCity.
26th July, 1982: Appointment as Assistant Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, Bendel State University, Ekpoma.
22nd Feb.1985: Upgrading to Lecturer II, Department of Religious Studies and Philosophy, Bendel State University, Ekpoma.
1st Oct.1987: Promotion to Lecturer 1, Department of University, Bendel State University, Ekpoma.
1st Oct. 1996: Promotion to Senior Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, Edo State University, Ekpoma.
1st Oct. 2001: Promotion to Reader, Department of Philosophy, Ambrose Alli
1st Oct. 2011: Promotion to Professor, Department of Philosophy, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
16. COURSES TAUGHT AT THE UNDERGRADUATE AND POST- GRADUATE LEVELS.
- GST 102 Philosophy and Logic
- PHI 101 Introduction to Philosophy
- PHI 102 Ancient Philosophy
- PHI 113 Introduction to Ethics.
- PHI 114 Intro to Social and Political Philosophy
- PHI 201 Introduction to Logic.
- PHI 203 Introduction to Epistemology.
- PHI 202 Medieval Philosophy.
- PHI 211 Introduction to Metaphysics.
- PHI 213 Professional Ethics.
- PHI 214 Philosophy of Development.
- PHI 301 Symbolic Logic.
- PHI 302 Early Modern Philosophy.
- PHI 303 Theories of Knowledge.
- PHI 304 Social and Political Philosophy.
- PHI 306 Contemporary Issues in Ethics.
- PHI 307 Philosophy of History.
- PHI 311 Philosophy of Social Science.
- PHI 312 Philosophy of Religion.
- PHI 314 Existentialism and Phenomenology.
- PHI 316 Philosophy of Language.
- PHI 313 Oriental Philosophy.
- PHI 315 Marxist Philosophy.
- PHI 402 Late Modern Philosophy.
- PHI 403 Classics in Ethics.
- PHI 404 Philosophy of Science.
- PHI 405 Philosophy of Law.
- PHI 411 Philosophy of Mind.
- PHI 412 Contemporary Analytic Philosophy.
- PHI 413 Seminar 1.
- PHI 414 Seminar 2.
- PHI 499 Long Essay Project.
B. Post-Graduate Level
- PHI 701: Epistemological
- PHI 702: Philosophy of History
- PHI 704: The Rationalist and the Role of Cognitive.
- PHI 705: Sense Experience and its Role in the Cognitive Process.
- PHI 706: The Idealist and Maxist Approaches to Knowledge.
- PHI 707: The Greek Origin of Metaphysics.
- PHI 711: Problems Associated with the Rationality of African Philosophy.
- PHI 713: Philosophy of Science.
- PHI 714: Contemporary Views of the Process of Knowledge.
- PHI 716: Philosophy of Language.
- PHI 717: Contemporary Metaphysics Trends.
- PHI 750: Seminar.
- PHI 799: Research Thesis.
17. POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISIONS.
A. M.A Supervisions.
i. Agidigbi, Blessing O., May 1999, “Paul Feyerabend on Scientific Method and Rationality”.
ii. Jimoh, Anselm, .K. March 1999, “A Critique of Rorty’s Epistemological Behaviorism”.
B. Ph.D. Theses Supervisions.
- Ehigie, John Osarenmwide, February 2010, Matric. N0: AAU/GS/FA/99/Ph.D/00/12.
“Causation and Causal Agents in Benin Metaphysics”.
- Idjakpor, Godwin .O. November 2009, “Kwasi Wiredu’s Consensus Option of Governance and The African Heritage: A Philosophical Appraisal of the Urhobo Traditional Social –Political System”.
- Oladipupo, Sunday Layi, November 2015, Matric. N0: AAU/SPS/FA/10/Ph.D/03379
- “The Pragmatic Mode of Justice in the Yoruba Nation”.
18. PUBLICATIONS IN STANDARD FORM.
A. Articles in learned journals, chapters in books, and Books.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Stigmatization in African Communalistic Societies and Habermas’Theory of Rationality”, Cultura. International Journal of Philosophy of Culture and Axiology 8:1, 2011: 27 – 28.
- AIGBODIOH, J.A., Pragmatics and Differences in the Social Othering of African Colonial Experience. In Elvis Imafidon (Ed.) Handbook of the African Philosophy of Difference (Dordrecht and New York: Springer 2019).
- AIGBODIOH, J.A., African Experience, Development and the Metaphysical Radicalism of the African Humanities. Synthesis Philosophica: Journal of the Croatian Philosophical Society, Special Issue on African Philosophy and Fractured Epistemologies, I.E. Ukpokolo and E. Imafidon (Ed.), 65.1 (2019).
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “A Response to Helen Lauer’s Critique of the Tradition versus Modernity Dichotomy “, Journal of Tribes and Tribal. Vol. 9, No, 2, 2011, pp. 79-85.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “The Ideological Content of Globalization from the Standpoint of Post –Colonial Nations” in Dr. Diane Stinton (ed.) The Arts, Man and Globalization Trends, Issues and Problems (Accra, Ghana: Deocraft Communications, 2006) pp.397 – 405.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “O. G. Idjakpor. And J.O Ehijie, “Metaphysical Causal Agents in African Traditional Societies: A Philosophical Analysis of Benin Thought System”, Approaches to International Research Development, Vol. 4, No. 1 (April 2011), pp. 10-11).
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Philosophy and Cultural imperatives: The Case of Modern Western Philosophy Examined”, BENSU Studies in Religion and Philosophy. Vol. II, 1983/84. Pp. 96-123.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Racial Separation and Power: A Theoretical Guide for Social Change”, Political Apartheid in South Africa. Proceedings from an International Conference held in Benin City, 13-16 March, 1990. pp. 140-160.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Imperatives of Human Knowledge Illustrated with Epistemological Conceptions in African Thought”, Ibadan Journal of Humanistic Studies. No. 7, October 1997.pp. 17-34.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Logical Positivism and the Reductionist Problem of Scientific Theories”, IRORO A Journal of Arts, Edo State University, Ekpoma. Vol. 7, No 1, August 1999. Pp. 123-135.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Etsako Traditional Burial Ceremonies in the Throes of Modernization”. EPHA, Vol.3, No. 1, June 2003.pp.1-19.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “The Myth of total Skepticism: A humanist Conceptual Retrospect”. In IRORO: A Journal of Arts. Vol. 9, 2003.pp.28-37.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “The Mindset Factor in Economic Development”. Dipo Irele & Adebola B. Ekanola (Eds), The Development Philosophy of Emmanuel Onyechere Osigwe Anyiam-Osigwe: Economic Existence, Awareness and Responsibility, Vol. 3, 2010, pp.20-34.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Life is a Play: Another African Existential Image”, Nnamdi Azikiwe Journal of Philosophy (NAJP). Vol. 2, No. 2, 2010, pp.63-71.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., &Idjakpor, O.G. “The Philosophy of Ujamaa” and the African Predicament”, Nnamdi Azikiwe Journal of Philosophy (NAJP), vol. 2, No. 1, 2009, pp.112-126.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., &Idjakpor, O.G. “Communitarian Consensus: A New Social Philosophy of Good Governance for Africa”, Nnamdi Azikiwe Journal of Philosophy (NAJP), vol. 2, No. 2, 2010, pp. 1-16.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., & Elvis Imafidon “Situations Defying Available Solutions And Thinking as Releasement,” Enwisdomization Journal, vol.5, No. 2, 2012.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Philosophy: The problem of its definition”. Chapter 10 in B.C Onochie, et. al. (eds), Readings in General Studies, Vol. 1 (Benin City Nig. Imprints Services, 2000), pp.114-130.
- AIGBODIOH, J. A., “The Branches, Problems and Values of Philosophy”. Chapter 11, in B.C. Onochie, et. Al. Ibid., pp.44-58.
xx. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “David Hume: The Man and His Philosophical Significance” Godfrey O. Ozumba (ed), The Great Philosophers vol. ii (Awka, Nig. R & K Books, 2000), pp. 44-58).
xxi. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Philosophy of Language: Problem and Content”, in Kolawole
xxii. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “African Philosophical Experience and the Problem of its Periodization”, in Francis Ogunmodede (ed) African Philosophy Down the Ages: 10,000BC to the Present (Ibadan, Nig. Hope Publication, 2004), pp.75-89.
xxiii. AIGBODIOH J. A. & M.L Igbafen, “The Origin, Meaning, Nature, Methods and Major Traditions of Philosophy” in C.O. Isiramen and C.A. Agbebaku (eds) Readings in General Studies Vol. 1 (Ekpoma: Ambrose Alli University Publishing House, 2004) pp.118-137.
xxiv. AIGBODIOH, J. A., & M.L Igbafen, “The Branches, Problems and Values of Philosophy”, in C.O Isiramen and C.A Agbebaku (eds) op.cit. Pp.138-159.
B. NEWSPAPER PUBLICATIONS
xxv. AIGBODIOH, J. A. “The Other Side of Freedom”, the Guardian Newspaper, Friday January 26, 1990, pp.9.
C. BOOK REVIEW
Xxvi. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Myth and the African Universe”, In WAJOPS: West African Journal of Philosophical Studies, Vol.2, Dec. 1999, pp.124-128.
xxvii. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Philosophy of Science: Issues and Problems (Ibadan, Nig. Hope Publications,1997).
xxviii. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Practical Issues in Applied Ethics: The Facts Arguments and Options, with Foreword by Nkeonye Otakpor (Benin City, Nig. Teredia Publications, 1999).
xxix. AIGBODIOH, J. A., & M.L. Igbafen, “Philosophy of language from an AfricanPerspective (Ekpoma, Nig. A Inno printing Press,2004).
xxx. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Is Social Order the Creation of Natural Instinct, or of Reason? Reflections on Professor Sogolo’s Critique of Sociolology” Forthcoming in Book Project in Honour of Professor Emeritus Godwin Sogolo at 70 years.
E. CONFERENCE PAPERS.
xxxi. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Approaching Philosophy of African Morals”, being a paper delivered in National Philosophical Association biannual conference, University of Ile-Ife, 1985 (Unpublished).
xxxii. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “African Philosophical Experience and the Problem of its Periodization”, being a paper delivered (and accepted for publication) at the international Conference of African Philosophy down the ages: the Problem of its History and Historiophy, held at SS. Peter & Paul Major Seminary, Ibadan, Nigeria, on 27 – 31 march , 1995 ( publication is forth coming).
xxxiii. AIGBODIOH, J. A., & IMAFIDON, “Philosophical Challenges of Modernity and Moral Degeneration in Contemporary African Societies.” A paper presented at the International Conference: Philosophy and Crisis: Responding to Challenges to ways of life in the contemporary World, organized by University of Loannina, Greece & Council for Research in Values and Philosophy, Washington DC, held in Loannina, Greece, July 28-30, 2013.
xxxiv. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “African Experience, Development and the Metaphysical Radicalism of the African Humanities.” A paper presented at the Forth World Congress and General Assembly of COMIUCAP: World Conference of Catholic University Institutions of Philosophy, held at St. Augustine College, Johannesburg, South Africa, November 13-17, 2013.
19. FOREWORDS AND PREFACES TO BOOKS.
xxxv. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Foreword” to Elvis Imafidon, The Question of the Rationality of African Traditional Thought, Charleston, Southern California: Create Space Publishers, an Amazon Company, 2013, pp.ix-x.
xxxvi. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Foreword” to Blessing O. Agidigbi, Epistemology, Central Issues and Problems, Kairos Publishing, Ibadan, 2015 pp. ix-x.
xxxvii. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Foreword” to Monday Lewis Igbafen, Core Issues And Theories in Philosophy of Development, A Inno Printing Press, Ekpoma, 2014 pp.iv-v.
xxxviii. AIGBODIOH, J. A., Anyanwu B., Agidigbi B.O (eds.) “Preface” to Readings in General Studies, Volume I, Ambrose Alli University Publishing House, Ekpoma, 2013, pp.iv-v.
xxxix. AIGBODIOH, J. A., Imahe O.J, Ighodalo O. (eds.) “Preface” to Readings in General Studies, Volume II, Ambrose Alli University Publishing House, Ekpoma, 2013, pp.iv-v.
20. PUBLIC LECTURES WITH DATES.
xl. AIGBODIOH, J. A., The Role of Philosophy in Human and National Development: Being a Public Lecture Delivered by Prof. Jacob Aleonote Aigbodioh on the Occasion of the 2013 Annual Lecture Series of the Seminary of all Saints (SAS), Uhiele, Ekpoma, 28th October, 2013.
xli. AIGBODIOH, J. A., “Quality Education for Sustainable Development: Performance, Path and Productivity”. A keynote Address Delivered by Prof. J. A. Aigbodioh at the Education Summit Organized by Ososo Cultural Renaissance and Development Foundation at Filani Palace Hotel and Suites, Ososo, Akoko-Edo Local Government Area, Edo State on 29th December, 2015.
21. SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS/HONOURS:
i. University of Ibadan Post-Graduate Scholarship Award for 1981/1982 Session, M.A. Programme, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
ii. An Award of Honour, All Saints Catholic Major Seminary Alumni Association, Uhiele, Ekpoma, 2013.
iii. Certificate of Membership and Honour, Medical Social Work Department, Irrua
Specialist Teaching Hospital, Irrua, on 17th December 2014.
iv. Award of Honour, Institutional Administrator of the year 2014, by Afenmai Club 2000. 7Th February, 2015.
v. Award of Excellence by Catholic Diocese of Auchi, St. Paul’s Catholic Church, Ayua- Uzairue, Edo State, Nigeria. 29th June, 2015.
vi. Award of Honour presented by the National Association of Edo State Students
(NAESS) to Prof. J.A. Aigbodioh in recognition of your selfless services, dedication and Commitment towards the success, welfare and development of Edo State students on the 19th of February, 2016.
vii. Award of Excellence by Rev. Fr. Callistus Osaga Foundation, in Recognition of Outstanding and Selfless Contributions To Humanity and the Less Privileged, 30th December, 2018.
22. MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS/BODIES.
- Fellow, Institute of Corporate
Administration of Nigeria (F.ICAN).
- Special Marshal, Federal Road Safety Commission.
- Member, Esan Recreational Club, Ekpoma.
- Member, Nigerian Philosophical Association (NPA).
- Member, Senior Staff Club (SSC), Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
23. ADMINISTRATIVE/RESPONSIBILITY POSITIONS HELD WITH DATES:
i. 1990-1991: Coordinator of Philosophy Degree Programme, Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma.
ii. 1998-2001, 2008-2010: Head of Department, Department of Philosophy, Ambrose University, Ekpoma.
iii.1998-2001, 2008-2010, 2011-Date: Member, University Senate, Ambrose Alli University,Ekpoma.
iv. 2005-2008: Chairman, Space Allocation Committee, Faculty of Arts, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
v. 2001-2003: Sabbatical Leave, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo
vi. 2009-2010, 2010-2011: External Examiner, B.A. Hons. Degree Examinations, Niger Delta University, Yenegoa, Bayelsa State.
vii. 2010: External Examiner, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
viii. 2009-2011: External Examiner for Undergraduate Program in Philosophy, Niger Delta University, Bayelsa State.
ix. 9th June, 2011: External Examiner for the Ph.D oral examination of Mr. Onyekwere George – Felix NWAORGU. ( Matric. No . 41827).
x. 2011-2014: Director, General Studies Unit, Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma.
xi. 2014 till Date: Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academics), Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
xii. 28 Oct. 2014: Chairman, Ad-Hoc Council Committee on Academic Staffs who are on Study Leave with/without pay.
xiii. 18 Nov. 2014: Chairman, Sub-Committee of Appointments and Promotions (Academic) On the Review of Requirements for Assessing Academic Staff of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
xiv. 20 Nov.2014: Chairman, Senate Committee on the Problems Militating against Graduation of Postgraduates Students within the Stipulated Time in
Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
xv. 2014 till Date: Chairman, Committee on TETFund Research Grants/Journal in Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
xvi. 26 Mar.2015: Chairman, Management Panel of Investigation to Authenticate the Academic Qualifications of Aigbomian Omokhomion (NYSC/EK.148/0551) in the Department of Geography and Regional Planning;
xvii. 23 July 2015: Member, Committee on the Problems Associated with the MOU between AAU and ISTH.
xviii. 30th March, 2016: External Examiner for the P.hD oral examination of Mr. Sylvester Idemudia, ODIA (Matric. No. 84456) on “Personhood and Epistemic Interactivism in Indigenous Esan Thought”
24. SPECIAL AREAS OF TEACHING AND RESEARCH INTERESTS.
Critical Thinking, Symbolic Logic, Epistemology, Philosophy Of Language, Philosophy Of Natural Science, Philosophy Of Social Science, Issues in Ethics and Axiology, and African Development Philosophy.
25. LANGUAGES SPOKEN: English Language, Etsako, and Pidgin English.
26. HOBBIES: (i.) Long Hard Court Tennis
(ii) Interacting with friends
(iii) Washing Live Sports i.e Football, Tennis and Athletics.
27. VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS.
A. AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY MOTTO, VISION AND MSSION.
i. MOTTO: Knowledge for Advancement.
ii. VISION STATEMENT.
To foster the growth of Knowledge for the advancement of Society.
iii. MISSION STATEMENT
To be a center of excellence in teaching and research and in the total development of the individual person and in tune with the socio-cultural environment and technological realities of a dynamic world.
B. PERSONAL MOTTO, VISION AND MISSION
Knowledge for the Pacification of Human Existence.
ii. VISION STATEMENT. Creating a “planetarium” of educational bonds and international linkages for the pacification of human existence in Ekpoma and its environs.
iii. MISSION STATEMENT
Working out an all-inclusive educational programme towards internationalization and standardization in teaching, learning and research, using modern technologies seeking adaptation in a uniquely distinctive African socio-cultural environment.
28. NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF REFEREES.
- Professor Emeritus Godwin Sogolo
D3, Anambra Court,
G.S.M NO: +234-803-505-0152
ii. Professor Joseph Aluya, DBA
18340 Yorba Linda Blvd #107-122
Yorba Linda, CA. 92886,
G.S.M Nos: +234-807-816-4811
iii. Professor Frederick Ugbesia Igene
Department of Animal Science,
Faculty of Agriculture,
Ambrose Alli University,
G.S.M No: +234 805-507-8093
PROFESSOR J.A. AIGBODIOH